Sunday, July 31, 2016

Asclepias Hunt.

7-31-16 VERMONT: When we were in Maine a few weeks ago, I saw a perennial with white flowers and a lot of butterflies. Stephanie, the gardener at Ken and Carol’s, ID’d it as Asclepias incarnata, swamp milkweed.

I looked for it here, and neither of the usual nurseries had any. One of them had Asclepias tuberosa and A. viridis so I bought two of each and planted them by the side of the pond, but not in the water. I broke my rule about any more planting this season, but I hope it will be OK since it’s still July. The tuberosa has dramatic orange flowers.

New blooms: potentilla shrub [It has been out for a while, but I forgot to mention it before.]


Burgundy daylily.

Swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata, a perennial that draws the pollinators.

Here in the Maine gardens of Ken and Carol in Southwest Harbor it stands thigh high and likes wet feet.

Pumpkin cart with new wheel and new front suspension.

The tomato avalanche has begun.

No comments: