Sunday, June 17, 2018

Summer Begins.

6-17-18 VERMONT: We’ve been here for a couple of days getting set for the summer. The days have been warm and sunny and the nights cool, but things are dry and we need some rain. I have been watering all the new plantings, which have been looking droopy.

The corn is up and about a foot tall, inside the cage. I will need to take the cage down now the seedlings are growing, and the crows have been foiled. I hope I can do that without destroying anything.

Neighbors have added turtles to the pond, and Judy also found one on the road yesterday. I guess there are six or seven now. There are tons of tadpoles and not many fish, which is why there are a lot of tadpoles.

The phoebes nesting by the back door of the old mudroom have been incredibly busy from sunrise to sundown feeding four chicks. Speaking of sunrises, there was a brilliant red one this morning sometime between four and five o’clock.

I planted a huge astilbe, A. chinensis ‘Mighty Red Quinn’, that I got at The Farm in NJ in a shady spot that has resisted or rejected everything I planted there. Otherwise I have done a little pruning, weeding and watering.

New blooms: Wentworth viburnum, maple-leaf viburnum, anemone, bishops weed, weigela, knapweed, meadow rue, bearded iris, Siberian iris, Jacobs ladder, peony, chives, thyme, showy lady slipper, lupin, rose, trascantia, lady’s mantle, white spirea, Asian lilac, water lily, stephanandra.


Indigo bunting and goldfinch again.

Primrose, iris, anemone, forget-me-not by the pond.

Canadian tiger swallowtail on yellow flag iris.

Brady in the buttercups, but eating grass around them.

The daylily in the center is a double with duplicate reproductive organs and twelve petals. I've never seen that before.

White admiral on a daisy.

The phoebes are busy feeding four chicks. They are back and forth all day long with bugs for the brood.

Early this morning.

No comments: