Saturday, March 02, 2024

March First.

3-2-24 SHORT HILLS: It’s cold and rainy today. The snow is gone. The early shrubs show the beginnings of leaves. I always feel that March 1 is the end of winter even though we have had huge snow storms in March and even in April. There are less than three weeks until the Equinox, and next weekend is the start of Daylight Savings Time. 


I drove to The Home Depot a few days ago to get bird seed and suet feeders. I used the shopping cart instead of my cane, which worked out well. It’s a big store, and I did more walking than I anticipated, but that’s good. 


We are both still very despondent about the loss of Maizie, but struggle on. Keeping busy is the best diversion. We had dinner at Bill and Lynn’s yesterday.


At the feeders, grackles and red-winged blackbirds have arrived. Robins are patrolling the yard. Finches are developing summer plumage. They are all eating a lot of seeds. 

I saw this dove, and a second one, a few mornings ago in the elm tree out of the bedroom window. They looked huge up in the tree, far higher than my window. I couldn't tell what species they were until I got pix to enlarge.
The second dove.

No comments: