Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Vermont Cleanup.

11-1-16 VERMONT: I came up a couple days ago to do the fall cleanup. I have to wait until the perennials are dormant so that they are not harmed by cutting down the dried up stalks. If it’s not done, the debris interferes with re-growth in the spring and leaves behind plant diseases, mold and mildew to infect the new growth. I’ve done two days of work, those work days are shorter now than they used to be, and have cleared most of the beds between the pond and the house. Three cartloads of cuttings were dumped in the pasture.

Today was gorgeous, in the fifties and sunny this afternoon. This morning everything was white with frost. It was in the twenties last night. Yesterday and the day before were overcast and rainy, except yesterday morning, which was snowy. There was no accumulation, but I waited until things warmed up and dried out before going to work.

In early October things were very dry here, the pond was several inches low and the little pond in the pasture was empty and dry. Now the big pond is full and was actually draining yesterday, and the little pond is half full.

Flowers were still in bloom when I arrived—feverfew, cimicfuga, monkshood, loosestrife, witch-hazel, and sedum.

I had dinner with Cousin John yesterday and we plan to do it again tomorrow.


East side of the house when I arrived. Most everything was dormant.

After everything was cut down and carted away....


.... So that it will look like this again next summer.

I filled this feeder, it's SRO.

No comments: