Monday, May 24, 2010

Planting and Bunting.

5-24-10 VERMONT: O, the burdens of posting, blink your eyes and three days have gone by. Where shall I start? How about an indigo bunting? Saw one, briefly in the big apple tree. Speaking of birds, that robin is in business, the eggs have hatched and she is feeding the brood. A painted turtle has been crawling out of the pond every afternoon to sun herself on the edge of the pond.

I have been equally busy with pruning and weeding as usual, plus I exposed about another three feet of the rock formation behind the pond. I exposed it to the point where it dips deeper downward and turns away from the pond shore line. Doing it involves digging and carting the dirt and sod away, dealing with working at the pond edge and trying to stay dry, and finally rebuilding the bank. That was yesterday.

The day before that I did the planting. I list the common and Linnaean names so I can find out next year, at this time, exactly what it was that died without a trace. I planted several thyme clumps between pavers on the new patio: Thymus praecox, some are specific varieties, ‘Hall’s Wooly’, ‘Magic Carpet’, ‘Latavin Lucy’, ‘Coccineus’, and ‘Roseum’. Thyme likes sun, in the shadier areas I planted clumps of Irish Moss, Sagina subulata. In the dark bed under the apple tree next to the patio, I planted a liverleaf, Hepatica americana. I put two giant butterbur, Petasites japonicus ‘Giganteus’ next to the pond. In the bed on the SE corner of the new house, I planted two speedwell, Veronica peduncularis ‘Georgia Blue’, two knapweed, Centaurea dealbata ‘Rosea’, and a Phlox paniculata ‘Blue Paradise’. In the upper wall bed, I planted three Echinacea purpurea ‘Ruby Star’, ‘Double Decker’, and ‘Magnus’, a yarrow, ‘Strawberry Seduction’ and an archangel, Angelica gigas. I was almost as tired after planting them as I am after listing them.

Sunday evening we heard the Dartmouth Chamber Orchestra do some Mozart operatic pieces, from Figaro and Flute, accompanied by voice students, one of whom was Miss Anna. Delightful.

New blooms: hesperis, purple vetch, mountain bluet, cranesbill geranium, yellow flag iris, and more viburnums.


Mountain Bluet, a Centaurea.

I was up early the other morning to let the dogs out and caught this sky. I consider myself warned.

No comments: