Friday, May 21, 2010

Taste of Summer.

5-21-10 VERMONT: Two warm summer days, finally. Yesterday I planted the tomatoes and seeds for corn, sunflowers and pumpkins, and then put up the supports for the tomatoes. While planting corn seeds, I found some remnants of the stalks from last year, with segmented worms about an inch long inside the old stalk root and also found a few of the worms in the soil. I assume they are corn borers and will infect the new crop. I guess that’s why it’s recommended to rotate crops or let fields lie fallow every few years. We’ll see. Maybe I’ll skip next year if this year is bad.

Judy arrived as I was finishing and later Dan and Lily showed up, and we all had dinner with Anna. Today I bought some perennials at Brown’s and Longacre’s Nurseries for planting tomorrow. We spent the rest of the day with the grandkids.

New blooms: false Solomons seal.

No comments: